- 1 kilogram chicken (or chicken pieces)
- 2 litre water
- 2.5 centimetre piece green ginger
- 1 onion
- 4 peppercorns
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 470 gram can creamed corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoon cornflour
- 4 tablespoon water
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoon water, extra
- 2 slice ham
- 5 shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon grated green ginger, extra
- 4 shallots, extra
- 1Put chicken or chicken pieces into saucepan and add water, peppercorns, peeled and sliced ginger, peeled and quartered onion, parsley and salt. Bring to boil over medium heat and skim well to remove any scum; reduce heat and simmer gently, covered, for one and a half hours. Remove any scum from top of stock, strain and reserve six cups of the stock.
- 2Combine in a large saucepan the reserved chicken stock, creamed corn, crumbled stock cubes, extra ginger, chopped shallots, salt, pepper and sesame oil and bring to boil. Mix cornflour to smooth paste with the four tablespoons of water; add to soup, stir until soup boils and thickens and then reduce heat, simmering for one minute.
- 3Beat egg whites and extra water lightly and add to soup in a thin stream, stirring well.
- 4Remove meat from chicken or chicken pieces, shred finely (you'll need about one cup shredded chicken). Add thinly sliced ham and chicken meat to soup, heat gently. Top with extra chopped shallots.
The base of most Chinese soups is a good chicken stock; a whole chicken can be used. Some of the meat, when cooked, can be shredded and added to the soup with the remainder used for another meal. However, chicken pieces will serve the same purpose. You will need about 1kg (2lb) of chicken pieces. Economical chicken backs give good stock.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Dinner date recipes to impressToday 5:50am
- The big chocolate cookieToday 5:26am
- Princess-themed birthday cakesToday 3:28am
- 100 years of Australian dinnersToday 1:19am
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlYesterday 11:51pm
- Coconut dessert recipesYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast dessertsYesterday 10:49pm
- Cheesy tuna pasta bakeYesterday 10:12pm
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeYesterday 8:00pm
- Quick and easy plum tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Quick versions of your favourite dessert recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- 20 easy vegetarian curry recipesMar 29, 2020
- Sourdough rye breadMar 29, 2020
- Easy boston bunMar 29, 2020
- Aussie damperMar 29, 2020