- 1 kilogram chicken (or chicken pieces)
- 2 litre water
- 2.5 centimetre piece green ginger
- 1 onion
- 4 peppercorns
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 470 gram can creamed corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoon cornflour
- 4 tablespoon water
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoon water, extra
- 2 slice ham
- 5 shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon grated green ginger, extra
- 4 shallots, extra
- 1Put chicken or chicken pieces into saucepan and add water, peppercorns, peeled and sliced ginger, peeled and quartered onion, parsley and salt. Bring to boil over medium heat and skim well to remove any scum; reduce heat and simmer gently, covered, for one and a half hours. Remove any scum from top of stock, strain and reserve six cups of the stock.
- 2Combine in a large saucepan the reserved chicken stock, creamed corn, crumbled stock cubes, extra ginger, chopped shallots, salt, pepper and sesame oil and bring to boil. Mix cornflour to smooth paste with the four tablespoons of water; add to soup, stir until soup boils and thickens and then reduce heat, simmering for one minute.
- 3Beat egg whites and extra water lightly and add to soup in a thin stream, stirring well.
- 4Remove meat from chicken or chicken pieces, shred finely (you'll need about one cup shredded chicken). Add thinly sliced ham and chicken meat to soup, heat gently. Top with extra chopped shallots.
The base of most Chinese soups is a good chicken stock; a whole chicken can be used. Some of the meat, when cooked, can be shredded and added to the soup with the remainder used for another meal. However, chicken pieces will serve the same purpose. You will need about 1kg (2lb) of chicken pieces. Economical chicken backs give good stock.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021