- 1 kilogram chicken (or chicken pieces)
- 2 litre water
- 2.5 centimetre piece green ginger
- 1 onion
- 4 peppercorns
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 470 gram can creamed corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoon cornflour
- 4 tablespoon water
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoon water, extra
- 2 slice ham
- 5 shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon grated green ginger, extra
- 4 shallots, extra
- 1Put chicken or chicken pieces into saucepan and add water, peppercorns, peeled and sliced ginger, peeled and quartered onion, parsley and salt. Bring to boil over medium heat and skim well to remove any scum; reduce heat and simmer gently, covered, for one and a half hours. Remove any scum from top of stock, strain and reserve six cups of the stock.
- 2Combine in a large saucepan the reserved chicken stock, creamed corn, crumbled stock cubes, extra ginger, chopped shallots, salt, pepper and sesame oil and bring to boil. Mix cornflour to smooth paste with the four tablespoons of water; add to soup, stir until soup boils and thickens and then reduce heat, simmering for one minute.
- 3Beat egg whites and extra water lightly and add to soup in a thin stream, stirring well.
- 4Remove meat from chicken or chicken pieces, shred finely (you'll need about one cup shredded chicken). Add thinly sliced ham and chicken meat to soup, heat gently. Top with extra chopped shallots.
The base of most Chinese soups is a good chicken stock; a whole chicken can be used. Some of the meat, when cooked, can be shredded and added to the soup with the remainder used for another meal. However, chicken pieces will serve the same purpose. You will need about 1kg (2lb) of chicken pieces. Economical chicken backs give good stock.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021