- 50 grams butter
- 2 cured chorizo sausages (340g), sliced thickly on the diagonal
- 1.5 kilograms chicken thigh cutlets, skin removed, excess fat trimmed
- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped
- 2 medium red capsicums (400g), cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 400 grams can diced tomatoes
- 200 grams okra
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 cup (200g) basmati rice, rinsed
- fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
- 1Melt butter in a 6.75 litre (27-cup) cast iron or other flameproof casserole dish (see tip) over medium-high heat. Cook chorizo for 3 minutes on each side or until browned; transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
- 2Cook chicken in dish, turning, for 8 minutes or until golden all over; transfer to bowl with chorizo.
- 3Add onion to same dish; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add capsicum and seasoning; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until mixture looks dry.
- 4Gradually stir in stock, then diced tomatoes, okra and bay leaves to dish. Return chicken and chorizo to dish; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 1 hour. Stir in rice; cook, covered, for a further 15 minutes or until rice is cooked. Stand for 10 minutes.
- 5Serve half the gumbo topped with parsley. Transfer remaining gumbo to an airtight container; cool, then store.
We used a 28cm round cast iron casserole dish.Serve with simple green salad or lemony lettuce wedges , if you like.Refrigerate gumbo in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Freeze for up to 3 months; thaw in the fridge, then reheat in a microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- 18 vegetarian lasagne recipesJul 22, 2021
- Very green veggie curryJul 21, 2021
- Spiced vegetable biryaniJul 21, 2021
- Cherry lattice pies for your pie makerJul 21, 2021
- Chicken and vegetable risottoJul 21, 2021