When you brown butter you are evaporating the moisture content. The butter fat can then be heated to a higher temperature, caramelising the butter solids. This gives the browned butter its sweet, distinctly nutty taste.
- 300 g (9½ ounces} unsalted butter, chopped
- 11/3 cups (160g) almond meal
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 2 cups (440g) golden caster sugar
- 12 egg whites
- 16 fresh or frozen cherries (130g), pitted, halved
- 2 teaspoons demerara sugar
- 1Place butter in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat; cook, without stirring, for 8 minutes or until butter is nut brown and has stopped bubbling and foaming. Cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a deep 24cm (9½-inch) round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 3Spread almond meal on an oven tray; bake for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer immediately to a large bowl. Cool.
- 4Sift flour and caster sugar onto the roasted almond meal. Add brown butter and egg whites; whisk with a balloon whisk until combined. Pour mixture into cake pan; gently push cherries, cut-side up, into mixture.
- 5Bake cake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 6Just before serving, sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Tip You can use hazelnut meal instead of the almond meal.
- Do ahead Cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamSep 24, 2020
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020