Slow-cooking season has hit and now that the slow cooker is out on the bench, theres so much more than lamb shanks and casseroles you can make in it. This simple yeast-free seed bread is cooked in the slow cooker then browned under the grill to finish.
Looking for more simple bread recipes?
- 3 cups (450g) self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 40 grams cold butter, chopped
- ¼ cup (50g) pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- ¼ cup (35g) sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons linseeds
- ¼ cup (50g) roasted buckwheat
- 1½ cups (150g) pizza cheese
- ¾ cup (180ml) buttermilk
- ½ cup (125ml) water, approximately
- 1Preheat a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on high for 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, sift flour and salt into a large bowl, using your fingertips; rub in butter. Stir in seeds, buckwheat and cheese. Stir in buttermilk and enough of the water to make a soft, sticky dough.
- 3Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead lightly until smooth. Shape dough into a 16cm round on a piece of baking paper. Brush with a little extra buttermilk, sprinkle with a little extra flour; cut a 1cm deep, 10cm wide cross in top of dough.
- 4Lift dough, on baking paper, into cooker. Cook, covered, on high, for 3 hours or until damper sounds hollow when tapped with fingers.
- 5Preheat grill.
- 6Carefully lift damper, on baking paper, from cooker; place on an oven tray. Cook under grill for 5 minutes or until browned lightly.
Damper is best made on day of serving or reheat, wrapped in foil, in the oven for 15 minutes or until warmed through.Accompany with butter and loads of golden syrup; or serve with soups and stews.Suitable to freeze at the end of step 6.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeToday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 40 warming sweet and savoury recipes for your pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- 20 beautiful bundt cakesJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021