- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 6 large sausages
- fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch silverbeet
- 30 gram butter
- squeeze of lemon
- sprinkle of fresh nutmeg
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- 2Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, cheese, herbs and mustard. Season well and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 3Heat the oil in a large, oven- proof frying pan and saute the onion and sausages over a gentle heat for 8-10 minutes until golden and nearly cooked.
- 4Using tongs, cut each sausage into 4. While the pan is still hot, carefully pour over the egg mixture, dot with fresh rosemary and place the pan on a flat tray.
- 5Bake for 20-25 minutes until well puffed and golden.
- 6For the buttered silverbeet, remove any hard white stems and chop roughly. Simmer in boiling water for 4-5 minutes until wilted and dark green.
- 7Drain well and toss with the butter, a squeeze of lemon and fresh nutmeg. Season well and serve.
This dish combines toad-in-the-hole sausages and a Yorkshire pudding-style batter. It’s super- quick to prepare and kids love it! Make sure your pan or dish has high sides and the oil and sausages are hot before adding the batter – this helps it to puff up. I’ve served mine with buttered silverbeet to boost your iron intake.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Mixed berry clafoutisYesterday 12:14am
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019
- Berry and coconut chia puddingAug 07, 2019
- 22 pasta recipesAug 07, 2019
- Roast vegetable spelt pastaAug 06, 2019
- 10 easy bread recipesAug 06, 2019
- Slow-cooked lamb with braised green beansAug 06, 2019
- Chicken dinner recipesAug 06, 2019