- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 6 large sausages
- fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch silverbeet
- 30 gram butter
- squeeze of lemon
- sprinkle of fresh nutmeg
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- 2Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, cheese, herbs and mustard. Season well and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 3Heat the oil in a large, oven- proof frying pan and saute the onion and sausages over a gentle heat for 8-10 minutes until golden and nearly cooked.
- 4Using tongs, cut each sausage into 4. While the pan is still hot, carefully pour over the egg mixture, dot with fresh rosemary and place the pan on a flat tray.
- 5Bake for 20-25 minutes until well puffed and golden.
- 6For the buttered silverbeet, remove any hard white stems and chop roughly. Simmer in boiling water for 4-5 minutes until wilted and dark green.
- 7Drain well and toss with the butter, a squeeze of lemon and fresh nutmeg. Season well and serve.
This dish combines toad-in-the-hole sausages and a Yorkshire pudding-style batter. It’s super- quick to prepare and kids love it! Make sure your pan or dish has high sides and the oil and sausages are hot before adding the batter – this helps it to puff up. I’ve served mine with buttered silverbeet to boost your iron intake.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Peanut butter cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- French toastYesterday 1:00pm
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken curry recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Honey joysYesterday 1:00pm
- Windsor shortbreadYesterday 5:10am
- Coconut riceYesterday 4:54am
- Best burger recipesYesterday 4:33am
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsYesterday 3:55am
- Lemon curd cakeYesterday 3:01am
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019
- Pho boOct 15, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootOct 13, 2019