- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 6 large sausages
- fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch silverbeet
- 30 gram butter
- squeeze of lemon
- sprinkle of fresh nutmeg
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- 2Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, cheese, herbs and mustard. Season well and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 3Heat the oil in a large, oven- proof frying pan and saute the onion and sausages over a gentle heat for 8-10 minutes until golden and nearly cooked.
- 4Using tongs, cut each sausage into 4. While the pan is still hot, carefully pour over the egg mixture, dot with fresh rosemary and place the pan on a flat tray.
- 5Bake for 20-25 minutes until well puffed and golden.
- 6For the buttered silverbeet, remove any hard white stems and chop roughly. Simmer in boiling water for 4-5 minutes until wilted and dark green.
- 7Drain well and toss with the butter, a squeeze of lemon and fresh nutmeg. Season well and serve.
This dish combines toad-in-the-hole sausages and a Yorkshire pudding-style batter. It’s super- quick to prepare and kids love it! Make sure your pan or dish has high sides and the oil and sausages are hot before adding the batter – this helps it to puff up. I’ve served mine with buttered silverbeet to boost your iron intake.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Basic white breadYesterday 5:27am
- Tuna mornayYesterday 1:00am
- 27 delicious ways to use pesto in your recipesYesterday 12:03am
- Shepherd's pieMay 24, 2020
- Chicken noodle soupMay 24, 2020
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesMay 24, 2020
- Lemonade sconesMay 24, 2020
- Pea and ham soupMay 24, 2020
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinMay 22, 2020
- Lamb osso bucoMay 22, 2020
- 26 really good rhubarb recipesMay 22, 2020
- How to remove and eat pomegranate seedsMay 21, 2020
- Perfect pomegranate recipesMay 21, 2020
- Paprika chickenMay 21, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesMay 21, 2020