- 1.5 kg medium octopus
- 5 fresh long red chillies, seeded, chopped finely
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley stems and leaves
- 2/3 cup (160ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups (750ml) white wine
- 1/4 cup (60ml) chardonnay vinegar
- 250 grams rocket, trimmed
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1To clean octopus, cut across the head and under the eyes to separate the tentacles from the head. Cut across the head above the eyes. Clean out head; remove dark skin. Remove beak from centre of tentacles; rinse well. Rinse octopus; pat dry with paper towel. Cut the tentacles into even-sized pieces.
- 2Process chilli, garlic, parsley and half the oil in a small food processor until finely chopped. Add half the chilli mixture to octopus in a large bowl; mix well. Season octopus. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large, deep heavy-based frying pan over high heat; cook octopus, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until octopus is tender. Drain off liquid. Cool the octopus for 20 minutes.
- 4Toss cooled octopus in remaining oil. Cook octopus, in batches, on a heated grill plate (or grill or barbecue) over high heat for 2 minutes or until charred lightly.
- 5Place charred octopus in a medium bowl with vinegar and remaining chilli mixture; toss gently to combine. Season to taste. Serve with rocket and mint.
Marinated uncooked octopus suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave. You can use white wine vinegar instead of chardonnay vinegar. Octopus can be either marinated or cooked in the pan a day ahead. Barbecue just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Broccoli and kale soup with lemon creme fraicheToday 1:59am
- Classic sconesToday 1:35am
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeYesterday 6:00pm
- Tangy lemon squaresYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork ribs with sticky barbecue sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- ShortbreadYesterday 2:00pm
- Traditional beef casseroleYesterday 2:00pm
- Garlic beansYesterday 2:00pm
- Anzac biscuit recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Vanilla cupcakesYesterday 2:00pm
- Garlic prawns with steamed riceYesterday 2:00pm
- Chocolate rough sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- Homemade pastyYesterday 2:00pm
- 27 comforting custard dessertsYesterday 2:00pm
- Richest beef casseroleYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm