- 1.5 kg medium octopus
- 5 fresh long red chillies, seeded, chopped finely
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley stems and leaves
- 2/3 cup (160ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups (750ml) white wine
- 1/4 cup (60ml) chardonnay vinegar
- 250 grams rocket, trimmed
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1To clean octopus, cut across the head and under the eyes to separate the tentacles from the head. Cut across the head above the eyes. Clean out head; remove dark skin. Remove beak from centre of tentacles; rinse well. Rinse octopus; pat dry with paper towel. Cut the tentacles into even-sized pieces.
- 2Process chilli, garlic, parsley and half the oil in a small food processor until finely chopped. Add half the chilli mixture to octopus in a large bowl; mix well. Season octopus. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large, deep heavy-based frying pan over high heat; cook octopus, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until octopus is tender. Drain off liquid. Cool the octopus for 20 minutes.
- 4Toss cooled octopus in remaining oil. Cook octopus, in batches, on a heated grill plate (or grill or barbecue) over high heat for 2 minutes or until charred lightly.
- 5Place charred octopus in a medium bowl with vinegar and remaining chilli mixture; toss gently to combine. Season to taste. Serve with rocket and mint.
Marinated uncooked octopus suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave. You can use white wine vinegar instead of chardonnay vinegar. Octopus can be either marinated or cooked in the pan a day ahead. Barbecue just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salsa verdeYesterday 2:00pm
- Potatoes with lemon and tomatoAug 05, 2022
- Popcorn butterscotch squaresAug 05, 2022
- Roast pork with apple sauceAug 04, 2022
- Lamb and lentil saladAug 04, 2022
- Chicken koftas with fig and seed pilafAug 04, 2022
- Chicken, mushroom and leek fricasseeAug 04, 2022
- Mexican riceAug 03, 2022
- Apricot choc-chip muesli barsAug 03, 2022
- Herb-crumbed baked beansAug 03, 2022
- 34 delicious desserts with an easy biscuit crustAug 03, 2022
- 51 really good rhubarb recipesAug 03, 2022
- Creative ways with celeriacAug 03, 2022
- 50 lemon dessert recipesAug 03, 2022