- 1.5 kg medium octopus
- 5 fresh long red chillies, seeded, chopped finely
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley stems and leaves
- 2/3 cup (160ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups (750ml) white wine
- 1/4 cup (60ml) chardonnay vinegar
- 250 grams rocket, trimmed
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1To clean octopus, cut across the head and under the eyes to separate the tentacles from the head. Cut across the head above the eyes. Clean out head; remove dark skin. Remove beak from centre of tentacles; rinse well. Rinse octopus; pat dry with paper towel. Cut the tentacles into even-sized pieces.
- 2Process chilli, garlic, parsley and half the oil in a small food processor until finely chopped. Add half the chilli mixture to octopus in a large bowl; mix well. Season octopus. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large, deep heavy-based frying pan over high heat; cook octopus, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until octopus is tender. Drain off liquid. Cool the octopus for 20 minutes.
- 4Toss cooled octopus in remaining oil. Cook octopus, in batches, on a heated grill plate (or grill or barbecue) over high heat for 2 minutes or until charred lightly.
- 5Place charred octopus in a medium bowl with vinegar and remaining chilli mixture; toss gently to combine. Season to taste. Serve with rocket and mint.
Marinated uncooked octopus suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave. You can use white wine vinegar instead of chardonnay vinegar. Octopus can be either marinated or cooked in the pan a day ahead. Barbecue just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 24 sweet ways with bread and butter puddingJun 02, 2020
- Dark chocolate croissant puddingJun 02, 2020
- Jam roll puddingJun 02, 2020
- Hungarian goulashJun 02, 2020
- Tasty tagine recipesJun 02, 2020
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersJun 02, 2020
- South-East Asian dinner recipesMay 31, 2020
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterMay 31, 2020
- Pineapple upside-down cakeMay 31, 2020
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesMay 31, 2020
- Custard tartMay 31, 2020
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesMay 31, 2020
- Impossible pieMay 31, 2020
- Pumpkin sconesMay 31, 2020
- What food is in season in June?May 31, 2020