- 1 kilogram cauliflower, trimmed, broken into large florets
- 2 1/2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) low-fat milk
- 1 cup (120g) grated low-fat tasty cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch grated nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salad, to serve
- 1Cook cauliflower in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 5 minutes, until just tender. Drain well and place in a large ovenproof dish.
- 2Combine cornflour and 1/4 cup of milk in a jug. Place remaining milk in a saucepan and bring to boil on high heat. Whisk in cornflour mixture and bring to boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, until sauce thickens. Stir in 3/4 cup of cheese. Add egg yolk, nutmeg, cayenne and pepper to taste and mix well, until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- 3Preheat a grill on high. Spoon sauce over cauliflower and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place under grill until bubbling and golden brown. Serve with salad.
Mornay sauce is a bechamel, or white, sauce enriched with cheese. It's a favourite for baked dishes that include cauliflower, cooked pasta, spinach, eggs and fish. Certain vegetables, including potato and pumpkin, need to be cooked in order to be digested, but it's important to avoid overcooking your vegies, as valuable vitamins and minerals can be lost. Rather than boiling vegetables and losing nutrients into the cooking liquid, steam them on the cook top or in a bag in the microwave. This way, you enjoy the maximum nutritional benefits.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsToday 5:00pm
- Salted honeycombToday 1:00pm
- Fluffy buttermilk pancakesToday 1:00pm
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Flourless cakesYesterday 11:39pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Dinner date recipes to impressYesterday 5:50am
- The big chocolate cookieYesterday 5:26am
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 3:28am
- 100 years of Australian dinnersYesterday 1:19am
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 30, 2020
- Coconut dessert recipesMar 30, 2020
- Fast dessertsMar 30, 2020
- Lebanese recipesMar 30, 2020
- Cheesy tuna pasta bakeMar 30, 2020
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeMar 30, 2020