- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup (295 grams) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 millilitres) vegetable oil
- 3 cup coarsely grated carrot, firmly packed
- 1 cup (110 grams) coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cup (375 grams) self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 3/4 cup (90g) pecans
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
Cream cheese frosting
- 65 gram (2oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 165 gram (5oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 3 1/3 cups (540 grams) icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Beat eggs, sugar and oil in a small bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in carrot and pecans, then sifted dry ingredients. Pour mixture into pan.
- 3Bake cake for 1¼ hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, make caramelised pecans. Make cream cheese frosting.
- 5Split cold cake in half; spread bottom layer with half the frosting.
- 6Top with remaining cake layer; spread top with remaining frosting. Decorate with caramelised pecans.
- 7Place pecans on a large baking-paper-lined oven tray. Stir sugar and ½ cup (125ml) water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves.
- 8Bring to the boil; boil, without stirring, for 6 minutes or until a golden caramel. Pour caramel over pecans on tray, tilting tray to spread into a thin even layer. Leave to cool and set; break into pieces.
Cream cheese frosting
- 9Beat butter, cream cheese and rind in a small bowl with electric mixer until pale. Gradually add sifted icing sugar beating until light and fluffy.
You need 3 large (540g) carrots for the amount of grated carrot used in this recipe. Store cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Uniced cake can be frozen for up to 3 months
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022