- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup (295 grams) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 millilitres) vegetable oil
- 3 cup coarsely grated carrot, firmly packed
- 1 cup (110 grams) coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cup (375 grams) self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 3/4 cup (90g) pecans
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
Cream cheese frosting
- 65 gram (2oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 165 gram (5oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 3 1/3 cups (540 grams) icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Beat eggs, sugar and oil in a small bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in carrot and pecans, then sifted dry ingredients. Pour mixture into pan.
- 3Bake cake for 1¼ hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, make caramelised pecans. Make cream cheese frosting.
- 5Split cold cake in half; spread bottom layer with half the frosting.
- 6Top with remaining cake layer; spread top with remaining frosting. Decorate with caramelised pecans.
- 7Place pecans on a large baking-paper-lined oven tray. Stir sugar and ½ cup (125ml) water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves.
- 8Bring to the boil; boil, without stirring, for 6 minutes or until a golden caramel. Pour caramel over pecans on tray, tilting tray to spread into a thin even layer. Leave to cool and set; break into pieces.
Cream cheese frosting
- 9Beat butter, cream cheese and rind in a small bowl with electric mixer until pale. Gradually add sifted icing sugar beating until light and fluffy.
You need 3 large (540g) carrots for the amount of grated carrot used in this recipe. Store cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Uniced cake can be frozen for up to 3 months
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Melting momentsAug 09, 2020
- Chai-roasted pumpkin soup with honey walnutsAug 09, 2020
- 20 ways with lemon curdAug 09, 2020
- Yorkshire puddings with gravyAug 09, 2020
- White sauceAug 09, 2020
- Lemon curd and poppy seed crêpe cakeAug 09, 2020
- 15 sweet and savoury scrollsAug 09, 2020
- 20 Australian biscuits from our childhoodsAug 09, 2020
- Beef stroganoffAug 09, 2020
- Easy capsicum recipesAug 09, 2020
- How to make basic sconesAug 09, 2020
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesAug 06, 2020
- Cheesy pastry twistsAug 05, 2020
- Easy Spanish paella recipesAug 05, 2020
- Brilliant broccoli recipesAug 05, 2020
- Lasagne recipe collectionAug 05, 2020