Caramelised onion soup with cheesy floats
- 40 gram butter
- 5 large onions, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 litre quality beef stock
- 2 cup water
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 1/2 french stick or similar
- 1/2 cup grated tasty or mozzarella cheese
- 1In a large saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onions and caraway over a medium heat for about 8-10 minutes until they are soft and starting to colour – this brings out their sweetness.
- 2Add the vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 5 minutes. Add the stock and water, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3Rinse the lentils, add to the soup and simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the lentils are al dente. Check for seasoning.
- 4To make the cheesy floats, cut the French stick into thin rounds and arrange on a lined baking tray. Top each with grated cheese, then toast under the grill for 3-4 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- 5Sprinkle with seasoning or fresh herbs if desired.
Caramelising the onions gives this soup an intense, aromatic flavour. The lentils add a bit of texture but won’t make it too cloudy. The tasty little cheese floats are delicious once the soup soaks in.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021