- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium white onions (300g), sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon water
Vintage cheddar pull-apart bread
- 3 cup (450g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (160g) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 100 gram cold butter, chopped
- (120g) coarsely grated vintage cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh chives
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 1/4 cup (310ml) buttermilk, approximately
Caramelised onion and vintage cheddar pull-apart bread
- 1To make caramelised onions; heat the oil in a large frying pan; cook onion, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until soft. Add remaining ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onion is caramelised. Cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan. Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- 3Sift flours into a large bowl, add husks to bowl; rub in butter. Stir in half the cheese and half the chives. Add egg and enough buttermilk to mix to a soft sticky dough. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead gently until smooth.
- 4Roll dough between sheets of baking paper into a 30cm x 40cm rectangle. Spread caramelised onions over dough leaving a 2cm border along the far long side; sprinkle remaining cheese and chives over onion. Roll up firmly from long side; transfer to tray.
- 5Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into eight slices, without cutting all the way through. Gently push slices to the left and right. Brush with a little extra buttermilk.
- 6Bake bread about 40 minutes. Stand on tray for 20 minutes before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021