- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 brown onions (800g), sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) cider vinegar
- 3 fresh beetroot (600g), peeled, grated coarsely
- 1 teaspoon coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1Heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion, stirring, about 15 minutes or until onion is softened and caramelised.
- 2Add remaining ingredients; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until beetroot is tender and relish is thick.
- 3Spoon hot relish into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Wear disposable gloves when peeling beetroot as it will stain your hands. Store relish in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate the relish after opening.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Our best hummus recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- How to start a food blogYesterday 1:00pm
- Peaches and cream pieYesterday 1:00pm
- Our classic pavlova recipeYesterday 1:00pm
- Roti canai flatbreadYesterday 1:00pm
- Custard tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Vietnamese chicken pho recipeOct 19, 2021
- Baked bean and ricotta-stuffed mushroomOct 19, 2021
- Easy combination fried riceOct 19, 2021
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingOct 19, 2021
- 24 perfect pineapple recipesOct 19, 2021
- Honey mustard chicken stripOct 18, 2021
- Mediterranean roast vegetablesOct 18, 2021
- How to make basic sconesOct 18, 2021