- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 brown onions (800g), sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) cider vinegar
- 3 fresh beetroot (600g), peeled, grated coarsely
- 1 teaspoon coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1Heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion, stirring, about 15 minutes or until onion is softened and caramelised.
- 2Add remaining ingredients; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until beetroot is tender and relish is thick.
- 3Spoon hot relish into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Wear disposable gloves when peeling beetroot as it will stain your hands. Store relish in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate the relish after opening.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020