- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 brown onions (800g), sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) cider vinegar
- 3 fresh beetroot (600g), peeled, grated coarsely
- 1 teaspoon coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1Heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion, stirring, about 15 minutes or until onion is softened and caramelised.
- 2Add remaining ingredients; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until beetroot is tender and relish is thick.
- 3Spoon hot relish into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Wear disposable gloves when peeling beetroot as it will stain your hands. Store relish in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate the relish after opening.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019