- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 brown onions (800g), sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) cider vinegar
- 3 fresh beetroot (600g), peeled, grated coarsely
- 1 teaspoon coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1Heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion, stirring, about 15 minutes or until onion is softened and caramelised.
- 2Add remaining ingredients; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until beetroot is tender and relish is thick.
- 3Spoon hot relish into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Wear disposable gloves when peeling beetroot as it will stain your hands. Store relish in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate the relish after opening.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Pasta al forno - Italian sausage pasta bakeToday 7:48am
- Vietnamese beef saladToday 6:23am
- Lattice biscuit citrus cheesecakeToday 6:00am
- Hoot hoot horray owl birthday cakeToday 5:26am
- Cauliflower and parsley saladToday 2:56am
- Impressive no-bake cheesecakes to finish a mealToday 1:13am
- Easy lemon cheesecakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Hash brownsYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect puff pastry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Low fat beef sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forSep 28, 2020
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamSep 28, 2020
- Cauliflower recipesSep 27, 2020
- Lamb and spinach samosasSep 27, 2020
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesSep 27, 2020
- Garibaldi sliceSep 27, 2020