- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 brown onions (800g), sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) cider vinegar
- 3 fresh beetroot (600g), peeled, grated coarsely
- 1 teaspoon coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1Heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion, stirring, about 15 minutes or until onion is softened and caramelised.
- 2Add remaining ingredients; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until beetroot is tender and relish is thick.
- 3Spoon hot relish into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Wear disposable gloves when peeling beetroot as it will stain your hands. Store relish in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate the relish after opening.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Summer stone fruit pandoro puddingYesterday 9:22am
- Rosé and raspberry trifleYesterday 2:35am
- Salmon pastrami with yoghurt tartare and pickled cucumbersYesterday 1:07am
- Gingerbread gift boxesDec 12, 2019
- Salt and vinegar roast potatoesDec 12, 2019
- DukkahDec 11, 2019
- Mocha mi suDec 11, 2019
- Santa saladDec 11, 2019
- Sausage rollsDec 11, 2019
- Crackling hamDec 11, 2019
- Rich chocolate fudge recipeDec 10, 2019
- Classic roast chicken with gravyDec 10, 2019
- Gingerbread christmas treesDec 10, 2019
- Honey soy nutsDec 09, 2019
- ColeslawDec 09, 2019