- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 brown onions (800g), sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) cider vinegar
- 3 fresh beetroot (600g), peeled, grated coarsely
- 1 teaspoon coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1Heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion, stirring, about 15 minutes or until onion is softened and caramelised.
- 2Add remaining ingredients; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until beetroot is tender and relish is thick.
- 3Spoon hot relish into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Wear disposable gloves when peeling beetroot as it will stain your hands. Store relish in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate the relish after opening.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021