- 80 grams unsalted butter, chopped
- 10 medium apples (1.5kg), peeled, cored, sliced
- ⅓ cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 cups (440g) coarsely chopped rhubarb
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ⅓ cup (80ml) water
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 1¾ cups (260g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ cup (75g) self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup (55g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 185 grams unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon iced water, approximately
- 1Melt butter in a large frying pan; cook apples, stirring, 10 minutes or until apples soften. Add brown sugar; stir until caramelised. Remove from heat; cool.
- 2Meanwhile, make pastry.
- 3Bring rhubarb, caster sugar and half the water to the boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- 4Blend cornflour with the remaining water; stir into rhubarb mixture. Stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat; fold rhubarb mixture into apple mixture. Cool 20 minutes.
- 5Grease a deep 24cm (9-inch) round springform tin. Roll three-quarters of the pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line tin. Ease pastry into tin, press into base and side; trim edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes, with remaining pastry
and any scraps.
- 6Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 7Spoon cold apple and rhubarb mixture into pastry case; brush edge with egg. Roll remaining pastry out until 3mm (⅛-inch) thick, cut into 1cm (½-inch) strips. Twist strips, place over filling in a lattice pattern; trim ends. Brush top with remaining egg; sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- 8Bake pie 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 180°C/350°F; bake further 25 minutes. Stand 15 minutes.
- 9Process flours, sugar and butter until crumbly. With motor operating, add egg and enough of the water to make ingredients come together. Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
Serve with whipped cream and ice-cream.This pie is not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- TiramisuYesterday 10:00pm
- Aromatic Vietnamese beef curryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chicken parmigianaYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef stroganoffYesterday 1:00pm
- 20 tantalising tiramisu recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious chicken drumstick recipe ideasYesterday 1:00pm
- Nutella TiramisuYesterday 1:00pm
- Pad ThaiYesterday 1:00pm
- Boston baked beansYesterday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesYesterday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesYesterday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceYesterday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesJan 26, 2021