- 500 gram rhubarb, trimmed
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoon cornflour
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, extra
- 3/4 cup (180ml) thickened cream, whipped
- 200 gram greek-style yogurt
Caramel pavlova with rhubarb
- 1To prepare rhubarb: wash the rhubarb stems thoroughly; cut into 2cm pieces. Combine the rhubarb and sugar in a medium bowl. Transfer the rhubarb mixture to a colander with the bowl underneath. Cover; refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight. Add the rhubarb, juices and vanilla bean paste to a heated medium frying pan, bring mixture to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until rhubarb is just tender.
- 2Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Grease 17cm x 36cm ovenproof serving plate with butter, leaving a 3cm border. Sift the cornflour over the greased area.
- 3Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar, beating until dissolved between additions, scraping down the side of the bowl occasionally. Gradually add the brown sugar, beating until dissolved between additions. Fold in extra sifted cornflour.
- 4Pile the meringue along the centre of the prepared plate. Use a metal spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the meringue over the greased area, making a shallow indentation along the centre.
- 5Reduce the oven temperature to 100°C (80°C fan-forced). Bake pavlova in the lower half of the oven for 1 1/2 hours or until dry and crisp. Turn off oven; cool in the oven with the door ajar.
- 6Combine the whipped cream and yogurt in a medium bowl. Top the pavlova with cream mixture and half the rhubarb mixture. Serve with the remaining rhubarb mixture.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb goulashYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 chocolate recipes for those of us who can't get enoughYesterday 5:44am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeYesterday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesJul 24, 2021
- 34 delicious duck recipesJul 24, 2021
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsJul 24, 2021
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingJul 24, 2021
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021