- 250 gram unsalted butter, chopped
- 200 gram white chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/4 cup (450g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cup (300g) plain flour
- 2/3 cup (100g) self-raising flour
- 125 gram butter, chopped
- 1 cup (200g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) sifted icing sugar mixture
- 1Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Grease and line the base and side of a deep 22cm round cake pan, bringing paper 5cm above the side of the pan.
- 2In a medium saucepan, combine butter, chocolate, sugar and water. Whisk over low heat until the chocolate is melted and sugar is dissolved. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cool for 15 minutes.
- 3Whisk in vanilla and eggs, then combined sifted flours. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for about 2 hours. Cover cake loosely with foil if it is over-browning.
- 4Cool the cake in the pan covered with a clean tea towel.
- 5To make caramel frosting, melt butter in a small pan, stir in brown sugar and milk, then bring to boil. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, cool. Add enough sifted icing sugar mixture to give a spreading consistency, and stir until smooth.
- 6Spread cold cake with caramel frosting.
This cake can be made four days ahead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022