- 395 gram sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 60 gram butter, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (75g) baker's flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cup (500ml) thickened cream
- 30 gram butter, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup (55g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F.
- 2Pour condensed milk into a medium shallow baking dish; cover with foil. Place dish in a large baking dish; add enough boiling water to large dish to come halfway up sides of dish. Transfer to oven; bake, uncovered, about 1¼ hours or until condensed milk is golden brown and caramel. Cool to room temperature. Whisk caramel until smooth.
- 3To make choux pastry, combine the water, butter and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Add flour; beat with a wooden spoon over medium heat until mixture comes away from base of pan. Transfer pastry to a medium bowl; beat in two of the eggs, one at a time. Whisk remaining egg with a fork, beat enough of the egg into the pastry until it becomes smooth and glossy but still holds its shape.
- 4Spoon pastry into piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm plain tube. Pipe 8cm lengths, about 5cm apart, on greased oven trays.
- 5Bake éclairs 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C/350°F; bake 15 minutes. Using serrated knife, cut éclairs in half, remove any soft centres; return to trays, bake a further 5 minutes or until éclairs are dry. Cool on trays.
- 6Meanwhile, make caramel icing. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add brown sugar and milk; cook, stirring, over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes. Whisk in sifted icing sugar.
- 7Beat cream in a small bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Spoon cream into pastry bases, top with caramel. Top with éclair tops; spread with caramel icing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021