- 800 gram chicken breast fillets, sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 10 centimetre stick (20g) fresh lemon grass, chopped finely
- 2 centimetre piece fresh ginger (10g), grated
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 brown onion (150g), sliced thinly
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped finely
- 1 red capsicum (200g), sliced thickly
- 1/3 cup (80ml) hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoon fried shallots
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- 1Combine chicken with half the garlic, 1 teaspoon of the five-spice and all of the lemon grass and ginger in large bowl. Cover, refrigerate 1 hour.
- 2Heat half the oil in wok; stir-fry brown onion, chilli, capsicum and remaining garlic, until onion softens. Remove from wok.
- 3Heat remaining oil in wok; stir-fry chicken, in batches, until cooked.
- 4Return onion mixture and chicken to wok with sauce, rind, juice and remaining five-spice; stir-fry until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat; toss coriander into stir-fry, sprinkle with shallots and green onion.
Fried shallots are usually served as a condiment on the table or sprinkled over cooked dishes. They can be purchased packaged in jars or cellophane bags at all Asian grocery stores; once opened, they keep for months if stored tightly sealed. Make your own by frying thinly sliced shallots until crisp and golden-brown.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021