Buttery French brioche
- 4 teaspoon (14g) dry yeast
- 1/3 cup (80ml) warm water
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 4 cup (600g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 5 eggs, beaten lightly
- 250 gram butter
- 1 egg, extra, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Cinnamon and cranberry butter
- 125 gram butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped dried cranberries
Buttery French brioche
- 1Whisk yeast, the water and 1 tablespoon of the caster sugar in a small bowl until yeast dissolves. Cover; stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until mixture is frothy.
- 2Sift flour, salt and remaining caster sugar into a large bowl, then add yeast mixture and beaten egg; stir until just combined. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- 3Divide butter into 10 equal portions. Knead each portion into dough, kneading well after each addition, until all the butter is incorporated and dough is smooth and glossy. Place dough into a large bowl; cover. Refrigerate overnight.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- 5Divide dough into three equal portions; roll each portion into a 45cm length. Place dough lengths on a large greased oven tray; cross the lengths over and under each other into a plait; cover. Stand in a cool place for 1 hour or until dough has nearly doubled in size.
- 6Brush plait with extra egg; sprinkle with the sugar. Bake brioche for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 180°C (160°C fan-forced); bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden and the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- 7Make cinnamon and cranberry butter: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- 8Serve the brioche with the cinnamon and cranberry butter and fresh berries, if desired.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What's in season in MarchYesterday 1:00pm
- Broccoli and Tom Yum prawn fried riceYesterday 5:12am
- Monte carlo biscuitsYesterday 3:00am
- Linguine with garlic prawns & chorizoYesterday 2:00am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsYesterday 1:02am
- Chewy chocolate sliceFeb 26, 2020
- Chelsea bunsFeb 26, 2020
- Salmon pattiesFeb 26, 2020
- Salmon niçoise tray bakeFeb 26, 2020
- Vanilla custard pieFeb 26, 2020
- Molten chocolate lava cakesFeb 26, 2020
- Mediterranean fish pieFeb 26, 2020
- Melt-and-mix strawberry yoghurt cakeFeb 26, 2020
- Vanilla panna cotta with berry compoteFeb 26, 2020
- White wine mussels with pearl couscousFeb 26, 2020