- 250 gram butter, softened, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
Candied citrus slices
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 (240g) medium orange, thinly sliced
- 1 (75g) medium lime, thinly sliced
- 2 cup (320g) soft icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) boiling water
- 1Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 22cm-round cake pan; line the base and side with baking paper.
- 2In a large bowl, beat the butter, rind and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Fold in the sifted flours and juices in two batches. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
- 3Bake for about 1 hour 10 minutes. Stand the cake in the pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- 4To make candied citrus slices, combine the sugar and the water in a large frying pan. Stir over low heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves; add the orange and lime slices and bring to boil. Reduce heat to very low; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, turning slices occasionally. Remove from heat, cool slices on a wire rack.
- 5Sift icing sugar into a bowl with boiling water; stir until smooth.
- 6Drizzle cake with glace icing. Just before serving, top with candied citrus.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsToday 5:00pm
- Salted honeycombToday 1:00pm
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Flourless cakesYesterday 11:39pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Dinner date recipes to impressYesterday 5:50am
- The big chocolate cookieYesterday 5:26am
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 3:28am
- 100 years of Australian dinnersYesterday 1:19am
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 30, 2020
- Coconut dessert recipesMar 30, 2020
- Fast dessertsMar 30, 2020
- Lebanese recipesMar 30, 2020
- Cheesy tuna pasta bakeMar 30, 2020
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeMar 30, 2020
- Quick versions of your favourite dessert recipesMar 30, 2020