Serve these golden buttermilk scones warm with lashings of fresh whipped cream and sweet jam. The buttermilk in this recipe helps the dough to remain soft and tender, resulting in a light and airy scone.
- 3 cup (450g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar mixture
- 60 gram butter
- 1 3/4 cup (430ml) buttermilk, approximately
- 1Grease 23cm square slab cake pan.
- 2Sift dry ingredients into large bowl, rub in butter. Stir in enough buttermilk to mix to a soft, sticky dough.
- 3Turn dough onto floured surface, knead until smooth. Press dough out to 2cm thickness, cut to 5.5cm rounds.
- 4Place rounds in prepared pan; bake in very hot oven about 15 minutes.
- 5Remove from oven and serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022