Serve these golden buttermilk scones warm with lashings of fresh whipped cream and sweet jam. The buttermilk in this recipe helps the dough to remain soft and tender, resulting in a light and airy scone.
- 3 cup (450g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar mixture
- 60 gram butter
- 1 3/4 cup (430ml) buttermilk, approximately
- 1Grease 23cm square slab cake pan.
- 2Sift dry ingredients into large bowl, rub in butter. Stir in enough buttermilk to mix to a soft, sticky dough.
- 3Turn dough onto floured surface, knead until smooth. Press dough out to 2cm thickness, cut to 5.5cm rounds.
- 4Place rounds in prepared pan; bake in very hot oven about 15 minutes.
- 5Remove from oven and serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 10 recipes for a modern Australian ChristmasYesterday 10:50pm
- The Australian Women's Weekly's classic pavlova recipeYesterday 1:00pm
- Cauliflower 'rice' pilafNov 07, 2019
- Chocolate sour cream cakeNov 06, 2019
- Tomato, prosciutto and mozzarella tartNov 06, 2019
- 13 ways with broad beansNov 05, 2019
- Spaghetti carbonaraNov 05, 2019
- Gingerbread biscuitsNov 05, 2019
- Prawn, pea & broad bean frittataNov 05, 2019
- The best finger foods for your next partyNov 03, 2019
- Very green veggie curryNov 03, 2019
- Snapper and tomato tray bakeNov 03, 2019
- Classic rum ballsNov 01, 2019
- The basic crepe recipe every cook needsOct 31, 2019