Serve these golden buttermilk scones warm with lashings of fresh whipped cream and sweet jam. The buttermilk in this recipe helps the dough to remain soft and tender, resulting in a light and airy scone.
- 3 cup (450g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar mixture
- 60 gram butter
- 1 3/4 cup (430ml) buttermilk, approximately
- 1Grease 23cm square slab cake pan.
- 2Sift dry ingredients into large bowl, rub in butter. Stir in enough buttermilk to mix to a soft, sticky dough.
- 3Turn dough onto floured surface, knead until smooth. Press dough out to 2cm thickness, cut to 5.5cm rounds.
- 4Place rounds in prepared pan; bake in very hot oven about 15 minutes.
- 5Remove from oven and serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sushi riceYesterday 2:00pm
- All the classic curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken, bacon and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic butter cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pork curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried pork rissolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pancake recipesApr 12, 2021
- Carrot and lentil soup with coriander pestoApr 11, 2021
- Healthy banana breadApr 11, 2021
- Pumpkin soupApr 11, 2021
- Vegetarian chilli beansApr 11, 2021
- Rösti cottage pieApr 11, 2021
- Very vegetarian Mexican recipesApr 11, 2021
- Roast beefApr 11, 2021
- Spicy Mexican soup with chickenApr 11, 2021