Serve these golden buttermilk scones warm with lashings of fresh whipped cream and sweet jam. The buttermilk in this recipe helps the dough to remain soft and tender, resulting in a light and airy scone.
- 3 cup (450g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar mixture
- 60 gram butter
- 1 3/4 cup (430ml) buttermilk, approximately
- 1Grease 23cm square slab cake pan.
- 2Sift dry ingredients into large bowl, rub in butter. Stir in enough buttermilk to mix to a soft, sticky dough.
- 3Turn dough onto floured surface, knead until smooth. Press dough out to 2cm thickness, cut to 5.5cm rounds.
- 4Place rounds in prepared pan; bake in very hot oven about 15 minutes.
- 5Remove from oven and serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021