- 1 cup (150g) roasted unsalted cashews
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 clove garlic, quartered
- 3 centimetre piece fresh ginger (15g), grated
- 1/3 cup (95g) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk
- 60 gram butter
- 12 chicken drumsticks (1.8kg)
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- 2Process nuts, spices, garlic, ginger, paste, juice and ¼ cup of the buttermilk until smooth.
- 3Melt half the butter in large baking dish; cook chicken, in batches, until browned.
- 4Melt remaining butter in same dish; cook spice mixture, stirring, about 3 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in stock and remaining buttermilk; bring to the boil. Return chicken to dish.
- 5Roast, covered, 10 minutes. Uncover; roast about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- 6Serve chicken sprinkled with coriander. Steamed rice is a great accompaniment for this meal.
Garam masala literally means "blended spices" in its northern Indian place of origin; it is based on varying proportions of cardamom, cinnamon, clove, coriander, fennel and cumin, roasted and ground together. Black pepper and chilli can be added for a hotter version.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeYesterday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesMay 06, 2021
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesMay 06, 2021
- What food is in season in May?May 06, 2021
- Baked cauliflowerMay 06, 2021
- Thai beef saladMay 06, 2021
- Perfect panna cotta recipesMay 06, 2021
- Sensational sweet tartsMay 06, 2021
- Apple turnoversMay 06, 2021
- Lemon meringue pieMay 06, 2021
- Fruit mince sliceMay 06, 2021
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021