- 250 gram butter, softened
- 1 cup (160g) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 1/2 cup (375g) plain flour
- 1Beat butter and sifted sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. (This is the stage where you will add your flavour additions - see tips.)
- 2Stir in flour, in two batches.
- 3Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth. Divide dough in half; roll each half into a 25cm log. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.
- 4Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 5Cut logs into 1cm slices; place slices on trays about 2cm apart. Bake cookies 10 minutes or until browned lightly. Transfer cookies onto wire rack to cool.
TRY THESE VARIATIONS: Chocolate and hazelnut: Beat 2 tablespoons sifted cocoa powder into butter and sugar mixture, then stir in 1/3 cup ground hazelnuts and 1/3 cup finely chopped milk choc bits before adding the flour. Orange: Beat 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind into butter and sugar mixture. Lemon: Beat 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind into butter and sugar mixture. Vanilla: Beat 1 teaspoon vanilla extract into butter and sugar mixture. Dried cranberry: Stir in 2/3 cup finely chopped dried cranberries into butter and sugar mixture.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Citrus almond twistToday 2:51am
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeToday 2:31am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsToday 2:02am
- Teriyaki salmonYesterday 11:44pm
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkYesterday 1:23am
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaYesterday 12:02am
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019