Burnished key lime pie
- 150 gram granita biscuits
- 1/2 cup (70g) macadamias, toasted, chopped coarsely
- 80 gram butter, melted
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 x 395g cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoon finely grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lime juice
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
Burnished key lime pie
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line base and sides of an 18cm springform pan.
- 2Process biscuits until fine. Transfer to a bowl; stir in macadamias and butter. Press mixture over the base of prepared pan; refrigerate.
- 3Beat egg yolks in a small bowl with an electric mixer for 4-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. On low speed, add condensed milk, then beat for 3-4 minutes or until pale and thick. On low speed, gradually add 1 tablespoon of each of the grated rinds and the juices. Reserve remaining lime rind.
- 4Pour the mixture into the pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until just set. Cool in the oven with the door slightly ajar; refrigerate.
- 5Make Italian meringue: Combine sugar and 1/3 cup (80ml) cold water in a small pan; cook, stirring, over low heat until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and brush down sides of pan with a clean, wet pastry brush to remove sugar crystals. Boil until syrup reaches 115°C on a candy thermometer (10-15 minutes).
- 6Start whisking egg whites with cream of tartar in the clean bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- 7Meanwhile, bring sugar syrup to 121°C. With the motor running, gradually pour syrup into meringue. Beat at medium speed until cooled to room temperature and meringue is thick and glossy (about 10-15 minutes).
- 8Spread Italian meringue around top and sides of the chilled pie, creating a swirl pattern with a palette knife or the back of a spoon.
- 9Using a blow torch, caramelise the meringue to golden brown all over. Sprinkle with the remaining lime rind.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave. If you don’t have a blow torch, place the pie on an oven tray in a hot oven at 250°C (230°C fan-forced) for 2 minutes or until browned.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Super-simple chicken parmigianaAug 08, 2022
- Gluten free basic biscuitsAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022
- 13 delicious chicken drumstick ideasAug 08, 2022
- Veal braciole with rice and peasAug 08, 2022
- Beef mince and rice burritosAug 08, 2022
- Lemon deliciousAug 07, 2022
- Beef and lentil curryAug 07, 2022
- Gluten-free peanut butter cookiesAug 07, 2022
- Apple streusel sliceAug 07, 2022
- 22 cost effective meals using mince and riceAug 07, 2022
- Creative ways with celeriacAug 07, 2022
- Salsa verdeAug 06, 2022
- Popcorn butterscotch squaresAug 05, 2022