- 1 large head broccoli (500g), cut into florets, stalks peeled, sliced
- 150 gram (4½-ounce) piece pancetta, diced
- 1 small brown onion (80g), chopped finely
- 2 tablespoon plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cup (500ml) milk
- 120 gram (4 ounces) gorgonzola, crumbled
- 3/4 cup (50g) coarse stale breadcrumbs
- 1Boil, steam or microwave broccoli until just bright green but still firm; drain. Place in a greased shallow 1.5-litre (6-cup) ovenproof dish.
- 2Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F.
- 3Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook pancetta, stirring, occasionally, for 10 minutes or until fat is rendered and pancetta crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Scatter pancetta over broccoli.
- 4Cook onion in same pan over medium heat, stirring for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add flour and mustard powder; stir for 30 seconds. Gradually add milk, stirring continuously until mixture boils and thickens slightly.
- 5Remove from heat; stir in cheese and season with freshly ground black pepper to taste until cheese melts. Pour sauce over broccoli, top with breadcrumbs.
- 6Bake for 20 minutes until browned lightly.