- 280 grams macaroni pasta
- 4 rindless bacon slices (260g), chopped finely
- 50 grams butter
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1 litre (4 cups) milk
- 1 cup (120g) coarsely grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup (40g) finely grated pecorino cheese
- 100 grams mild-tasting blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 400 grams broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped dry-roasted almonds
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Oil a deep 2-litre (8-cup) ovenproof dish.
- 2Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water for 1½ minutes less than cooking time on the packet; drain. Cook bacon in same pan, stirring, until crisp; drain on paper towel.
- 3Melt butter in same pan, add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in cheeses and mustard.
- 4Combine pasta, cheese sauce, bacon, broccoli in a large bowl; pour into ovenproof dish. Dot with a little extra butter. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned. Top with almonds.
When matching sauces with pasta, a simple rule is the longer the pasta, the thinner the sauce; the shorter the pasta, the thicker or chunkier the sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019