- 280 grams macaroni pasta
- 4 rindless bacon slices (260g), chopped finely
- 50 grams butter
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1 litre (4 cups) milk
- 1 cup (120g) coarsely grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup (40g) finely grated pecorino cheese
- 100 grams mild-tasting blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 400 grams broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped dry-roasted almonds
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Oil a deep 2-litre (8-cup) ovenproof dish.
- 2Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water for 1½ minutes less than cooking time on the packet; drain. Cook bacon in same pan, stirring, until crisp; drain on paper towel.
- 3Melt butter in same pan, add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in cheeses and mustard.
- 4Combine pasta, cheese sauce, bacon, broccoli in a large bowl; pour into ovenproof dish. Dot with a little extra butter. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned. Top with almonds.
When matching sauces with pasta, a simple rule is the longer the pasta, the thinner the sauce; the shorter the pasta, the thicker or chunkier the sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Blackberry parfaitToday 12:43am
- Pork silverside roast with maple-roasted vegiesYesterday 11:15pm
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019