- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 30 gram butter
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated gruyere
- 1/2 cup smoked leg ham, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely snipped chives
- 1Preheat oven to hot, 200C. Liberally grease four 1-cup souffle dishes, dust insides with parmesan and place on a baking tray.
- 2Melt butter in a medium saucepan on low. Add flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually blend in milk, egg yolks and cayenne, and season to taste.
- 3Return mixture to heat and bring to the boil on high, stirring. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in gruyere, ham and chives. Transfer to a bowl.
- 4In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold lightly into sauce - do not stir.
- 5Spoon into prepared dishes until 5mm from the rim. Run knife around the rim.
- 6Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden and slightly wobbly. Serve.
Steam helps the souffle to rise and cook evenly, so place a dish of water on the bottom shelf of the oven while cooking. A teaspoon of mustard added to the butter and flour mix enhances the flavour.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsToday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotToday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladToday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019