- 2 kg Roma tomatoes
- 1 bulb garlic
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 16 thin slices ciabatta, toasted
- ½ cup (80kg) kalamata olives, pitted
- 10 basil leaves
- 500 g fresh ricotta
- parsley leaves, to serve
- extra virgin olive oil, extra
- 1Preheat the oven to 120°C (100°C fan-forced).
- 2Quarter the tomatoes lengthways; arrange over an oven tray, cut-side up.
- 3Break the garlic into individual cloves and bruise each one with the side of a large knife. Add the garlic to the tray with the thyme and rosemary sprigs. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with the sugar. Season generously with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 3 hours or until tomatoes are crinkled. Remove from the oven; cool.
- 4Put eight of the tomato pieces into a small food processor with the olives and 6 basil leaves. Squeeze the garlic out of four of the cloves; add to the olive mixture. Process to a chunky paste.
- 5Serve the toasted bread with the tomato and olive paste, ricotta, tomato pieces and parsley. Drizzle with a little of the oil, if desired.
- 6Transfer the remaining tomatoes to a clean glass jar or storage container, layering with the fresh basil leaves and four of the roast garlic cloves. Pour over the extra oil until all the tomatoes are covered.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020