- 2 kg Roma tomatoes
- 1 bulb garlic
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 16 thin slices ciabatta, toasted
- ½ cup (80kg) kalamata olives, pitted
- 10 basil leaves
- 500 g fresh ricotta
- parsley leaves, to serve
- extra virgin olive oil, extra
- 1Preheat the oven to 120°C (100°C fan-forced).
- 2Quarter the tomatoes lengthways; arrange over an oven tray, cut-side up.
- 3Break the garlic into individual cloves and bruise each one with the side of a large knife. Add the garlic to the tray with the thyme and rosemary sprigs. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with the sugar. Season generously with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 3 hours or until tomatoes are crinkled. Remove from the oven; cool.
- 4Put eight of the tomato pieces into a small food processor with the olives and 6 basil leaves. Squeeze the garlic out of four of the cloves; add to the olive mixture. Process to a chunky paste.
- 5Serve the toasted bread with the tomato and olive paste, ricotta, tomato pieces and parsley. Drizzle with a little of the oil, if desired.
- 6Transfer the remaining tomatoes to a clean glass jar or storage container, layering with the fresh basil leaves and four of the roast garlic cloves. Pour over the extra oil until all the tomatoes are covered.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Healthy meal ideas when you don't know what to makeYesterday 5:27am
- 10 recipes for a modern Australian ChristmasNov 10, 2019
- Cauliflower 'rice' pilafNov 07, 2019
- Chocolate sour cream cakeNov 06, 2019
- Tomato, prosciutto and mozzarella tartNov 06, 2019
- 13 ways with broad beansNov 05, 2019
- Spaghetti carbonaraNov 05, 2019
- Gingerbread biscuitsNov 05, 2019
- Prawn, pea & broad bean frittataNov 05, 2019
- The best finger foods for your next partyNov 03, 2019
- Very green veggie curryNov 03, 2019
- Snapper and tomato tray bakeNov 03, 2019
- Classic rum ballsNov 01, 2019
- The basic crepe recipe every cook needsOct 31, 2019