So-named for their Depression-era legacy of being served as a frugal feed between slices of buttered bread, bread and butter pickles have seen a resurgence in popularity as foodies seek to minimise food waste. Enjoy these pickles as part of a share plate, or as a condiment on burgers, hot dogs and in sandwiches.
- 500 gram lebanese cucumbers, unpeeled, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 large brown onion (200g), sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup white (granulated) sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1Combine cucumber and onion in medium non-metallic bowl; sprinkle with salt, mix well. Cover; stand overnight.
- 2Rinse and drain cucumber mixture; drain on absorbent paper. Spoon into hot sterilised jars.
- 3Meanwhile, stir remaining ingredients in medium saucepan over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; remove from heat.
- 4Pour enough hot vinegar mixture into jars to cover cucumber mixture; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Before sealing, use a skewer or chopstick to free air bubbles trapped in the jars.
- Store pickle in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate after opening. The cucumbers will lose their colour on standing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeToday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesYesterday 10:21pm
- Baked cauliflowerYesterday 2:00pm
- Sensational sweet tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect panna cotta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021