- 500 gram lebanese cucumbers, unpeeled, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 large brown onion (200g), sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup white (granulated) sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1Combine cucumber and onion in medium non-metallic bowl; sprinkle with salt, mix well. Cover; stand overnight.
- 2Rinse and drain cucumber mixture; drain on absorbent paper. Spoon into hot sterilised jars.
- 3Meanwhile, stir remaining ingredients in medium saucepan over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; remove from heat.
- 4Pour enough hot vinegar mixture into jars to cover cucumber mixture; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Before sealing, use a skewer or chopstick to free air bubbles trapped in the jars.
- Store pickle in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate after opening. The cucumbers will lose their colour on standing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019