- 500 gram lebanese cucumbers, unpeeled, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 large brown onion (200g), sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup white (granulated) sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1Combine cucumber and onion in medium non-metallic bowl; sprinkle with salt, mix well. Cover; stand overnight.
- 2Rinse and drain cucumber mixture; drain on absorbent paper. Spoon into hot sterilised jars.
- 3Meanwhile, stir remaining ingredients in medium saucepan over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; remove from heat.
- 4Pour enough hot vinegar mixture into jars to cover cucumber mixture; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Before sealing, use a skewer or chopstick to free air bubbles trapped in the jars.
- Store pickle in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate after opening. The cucumbers will lose their colour on standing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeToday 6:38am
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019
- Christmas in July recipesJul 13, 2019
- Classic sconesJul 12, 2019
- RatatouilleJul 11, 2019
- 12 tantalising tiramisu recipesJul 11, 2019
- Rabbit stifadoJul 11, 2019
- Rhubarb crumbleJul 10, 2019
- Leftover stroganoff baguetteJul 10, 2019
- Mulled wineJul 09, 2019
- Avocado toast with fennel sauerkrautJul 08, 2019
- Chilli con carneJul 03, 2019
- Apple pieJul 03, 2019