- 600 gram boneless pork belly, rind on
- 600 gram american-style pork spare ribs
- 2 cup (400g) dried black (turtle) beans
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) water
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 150 gram speck, chopped finely
- 1 brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 5 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cured chorizo sausage
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Chop pork belly coarsely, cut ribs into serving sized pieces.
- 2Combine beans, pork belly, ribs, bay leaves and the water in 6-litre (24-cup) pressure cooker; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 35 minutes.
- 3Release pressure using the quick release method; remove lid. Strain over large heatproof bowl. Reserve 2 cups (500ml) cooking liquid; reserve bay leaves.
- 4Heat oil in cooker; cook speck and reserved bay leaves, stirring, until speck is browned. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion softens. Return beans, pork belly and ribs to cooker with whole chorizo and reserved cooking liquid; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 10 minutes.
- 5Release pressure using the quick release method; remove lid. Remove chorizo; chop coarsely, return to cooker. Season to taste. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
If you have an electric pressure cooker you won't need to reduce the heat to stabilise pressure, your cooker will automatically stabilise itself. Always check with the manufacturer's instructions before using. Recipe suitable to freeze. Feijoada is traditionally a Portuguese dish made with red kidney beans. Its name comes from "feijõa", Portuguese for beans. Imported to Brazil (a former Portuguese colony), feijoada, pronounced "fey-ju-arda" has become over time their national dish. It usually contains pigs' ears and trotters and is served sprinkled with farofa (roasted cassava flour).
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- Easy vanilla cupcakesMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021
- Mexican rice bowlMay 13, 2021
- Chocolate mud cake with white chocolate ganacheMay 13, 2021
- Citrus hazelnut bread twistMay 13, 2021
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeMay 13, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Chocolate mud cakeMay 13, 2021
- Beef pad see ewMay 13, 2021
- White chocolate and raspberry mud cakeMay 13, 2021
- 20 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 13, 2021
- Self-saucing pudding recipesMay 13, 2021