- 250 gram soft butter
- 2 cup (320g) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cream
- 1/3 cup (80ml) brandy or rum
- 2 cup (500ml) milk
- 300 millilitre thickened cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoon corn flour
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until as white as possible.
- 2Beat in cream and alcohol.
- 3Combine milk and cream in a medium pan; heat until just below boiling point.
- 4Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until creamy, whisk in vanilla bean paste and corn flour. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into egg mixture.
- 5Return milk mixture to pan, stir over a low heat, without boiling, until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- 6Strain custard into a jug; stir in brandy or brandy essence.
You can use brandy or rum essence in place of the alcohol, if preferred. Brandy custard: This recipe can be made two days ahead. Brandy butter: This recipe can be made a week ahead or frozen for one month. Not suitable to freeze. Suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021