- 1/3 cup (80ml) light olive oil
- 6 french-trimmed lamb shanks (1.2kg)
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 1 large carrot (180g), chopped coarsely
- 1 stick celery (150g), trimmed, chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 2 cup (500ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (100g) pearl barley
- 1/2 cup (100g) dried brown lentils
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 4 medium roma tomatoes (300g), chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- pita bread, to serve
- 1 lebanese cucumber (130g), peeled, seeded, grated finely
- 1 cup (280g) yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1Preheat oven to 120°C/250°F.
- 2Heat light olive oil in a 6-litre (24-cup) flameproof baking dish; cook lamb, in batches, until browned all over. Remove from dish.
- 3Add onion, carrot and celery to same dish; cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add garlic, stock, wine, paste, barley, lentils, chickpeas and thyme; bring to the boil. Return lamb to dish, cover; cook, in oven, for 2 hours. Stir in the water; roast, covered, for 1 hour or until lamb is almost falling off the bone. Season to taste.
- 4Meanwhile, combine tomato, juice, extra virgin olive oil and half the parsley in a small bowl; season to taste.
- 5To make tzatziki, squeeze excess liquid from cucumber; combine cucumber with remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste.
- 6Serve lamb topped with tomato salad and tzatziki; sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve with warmed or grilled pita bread.
To freeze: complete recipe to the end of step 3. Pack into freezer-proof containers, leaving a 2.5cm (1 inch) space to allow for expansion. Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan or microwave on medium power (50%) until heated through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 30 brilliant barramundi dishes to make for dinnerYesterday 2:00pm
- 35 vegetarian dishes featuring mushroomAug 12, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022