- 1 bunch coriander (cilantro) (100g) with roots attached
- 10 centimetre (4-inch) piece fresh ginger (50g)
- 1 stalk celery (150g)
- 1 medium carrot (120g)
- 1 large red onion (300g)
- 3 clove garlic
- 5 green onions (scallions)
- 3.5 litre (14 cups) water
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) beef brisket
- 30 gram (1 ounce) fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 30 gram (1 ounce) oyster mushrooms
- 30 gram (1 ounce) enoki mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 centimetre (1¼-inch) piece fresh ginger (15g)
Braised beef in chinese ginger broth
- 1To make broth, wash coriander; chop roots and stems coarsely, reserve leaves (to sprinkle over broth before serving). Peel and thinly slice ginger. Trim celery. Peel carrot, red onion and garlic. Coarsely chop celery, carrot, garlic and red and green onions. Combine ingredients (except coriander leaves) in large, deep flame-proof dish; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for one hour. Using slotted spoon, discard solids.
- 2Preheat oven to 140°C (285°F).
- 3Add beef to broth; cook covered, in oven for six hours.
- 4Remove beef from broth; cover to keep warm. Slice mushrooms, add to broth; simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. Stir in sauce and oil.
- 5Meanwhile, peel and grate ginger. Slice beef thinly; divide beef between bowls. Ladle broth into bowls. Serve topped with ginger; sprinkle over reserved coriander leaves.
The ginger broth can be made ahead and kept, covered, for several days in the refrigerator, or freeze for up to six months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022