- 7 kilogram cooked leg of ham
- whole cloves, to decorate
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) bourbon
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 kilogram kipfler (fingerling) potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 stalks celery (450g), trimmed, sliced
- 1 red onion (100g), sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup (40g) seeded kalamata olives, drained
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Cut through rind of ham 10cm from shank end of the leg. To remove rind, run thumb around edge of rind just under skin. Start pulling rind from widest edge of ham; continue to pull rind carefully away from the fat up to the shank end. Remove rind completely. Score across the fat at about 4cm intervals, cutting lightly through the surface of the fat (not the meat) in a diamond pattern. Decorate with cloves.
- 3Combine sugar and bourbon in small bowl.
- 4Pour the water into large baking dish; place ham on oiled wire rack in dish. Brush ham all over with one-third of the bourbon glaze. Roast, uncovered, 1 1/4 hours or until browned, brushing often with remaining glaze.
- 5Meanwhile, make warm potato and celery salad. Boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender; drain.
- 6Meanwhile, whisk mustard and vinegar in small bowl, season; whisk in oil. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice thickly. Combine potato in serving bowl with half the dressing. Add celery, onion, parsley, olives and remaining dressing; toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with some celery leaves, if you like.
- 7Serve ham with salad.
Reserve the rind from the ham and use it to cover the cut surface. This will keep the ham moist during storage. You can also freeze the ham and the ham bone. Cut the meat from the bone and wrap separately in plastic wrap. Place in airtight containers. Label, date and freeze for up to one month. Thaw in fridge overnight. This simple glaze also works well with brandy or whiskey.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 13 delicious chicken drumstick ideasYesterday 2:00pm
- Super-simple chicken parmigianaYesterday 2:00pm
- Veal braciole with rice and peasYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef mince and rice burritosYesterday 3:11am
- Creative ways with celeriacAug 07, 2022
- Beef and lentil curryAug 07, 2022
- Gluten-free peanut butter cookiesAug 07, 2022
- Apple streusel sliceAug 07, 2022
- 22 cost effective meals using mince and riceAug 07, 2022
- Lemon deliciousAug 07, 2022
- Salsa verdeAug 06, 2022
- Potatoes with lemon and tomatoAug 05, 2022
- Popcorn butterscotch squaresAug 05, 2022