- 7 kilogram cooked leg of ham
- whole cloves, to decorate
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) bourbon
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 kilogram kipfler (fingerling) potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 stalks celery (450g), trimmed, sliced
- 1 red onion (100g), sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup (40g) seeded kalamata olives, drained
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Cut through rind of ham 10cm from shank end of the leg. To remove rind, run thumb around edge of rind just under skin. Start pulling rind from widest edge of ham; continue to pull rind carefully away from the fat up to the shank end. Remove rind completely. Score across the fat at about 4cm intervals, cutting lightly through the surface of the fat (not the meat) in a diamond pattern. Decorate with cloves.
- 3Combine sugar and bourbon in small bowl.
- 4Pour the water into large baking dish; place ham on oiled wire rack in dish. Brush ham all over with one-third of the bourbon glaze. Roast, uncovered, 1 1/4 hours or until browned, brushing often with remaining glaze.
- 5Meanwhile, make warm potato and celery salad. Boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender; drain.
- 6Meanwhile, whisk mustard and vinegar in small bowl, season; whisk in oil. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice thickly. Combine potato in serving bowl with half the dressing. Add celery, onion, parsley, olives and remaining dressing; toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with some celery leaves, if you like.
- 7Serve ham with salad.
Reserve the rind from the ham and use it to cover the cut surface. This will keep the ham moist during storage. You can also freeze the ham and the ham bone. Cut the meat from the bone and wrap separately in plastic wrap. Place in airtight containers. Label, date and freeze for up to one month. Thaw in fridge overnight. This simple glaze also works well with brandy or whiskey.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Rich chocolate fudge recipeYesterday 9:00pm
- Classic roast chicken with gravyYesterday 6:00pm
- Honey soy nutsDec 09, 2019
- ColeslawDec 09, 2019
- Millionaire's shortbreadDec 09, 2019
- Christmas celebration salad with maple dressingDec 09, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafDec 08, 2019
- Spiced sweet potato tartDec 08, 2019
- Sweet potato, mint and goat’s cheese tartletsDec 08, 2019
- Christmas dinners that aren't Christmas hamDec 08, 2019
- Mushroom and spinach bruschettaDec 08, 2019
- Asparagus with crisp lentils and herb yoghurtDec 08, 2019
- Chocolate hazelnut ice-cream pandoroDec 08, 2019
- A very vegetarian ChristmasDec 06, 2019