- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 3 teaspoon dried yeast (10g)
- 2 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) warm water
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) frozen blueberries, thawed
- 3 3/4 cup (560g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water, extra
- 1/4 cup (55g) demerara sugar
- 250 gram (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (40g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 125 gram (4 ounces) fresh blueberries
- 1Heat milk until just warm. Combine yeast, half the caster sugar, the warm water and milk, and blueberries in a large bowl; whisk until yeast dissolves. Cover; stand in a warm place for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is frothy.
- 2Stir sifted flour, cinnamon and remaining caster sugar into the yeast mixture; mix to a firm dough. Knead dough on a floured surface about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large oiled bowl; cover, stand in a warm place about 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- 3Grease two oven trays. Turn dough onto a floured surface, knead until smooth. Divide dough into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Press a floured finger through the centre of each ball to make a hole; rotate ball with finger until the hole is a third of the size of the bagel. Place bagels about 3cm (1¼-inches) apart on trays. Cover; stand in a warm place about 15 minutes or until risen.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 5Drop 3 or 4 bagels, one at a time, into a large saucepan of boiling water (don't overcrowd the pan). Turn bagels after 1 minute; boil for a further 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon. Return bagels to trays; brush tops with combined egg yolk and the extra water, sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake about 20 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and sifted icing sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until mixture is smooth.
- 7Preheat grill (broiler).
- 8Split bagels; toast under hot grill. Top bagels with cream cheese mixture and fresh blueberries to serve.
Store bagels, split in half and wrapped in plastic wrap, in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Nectarine and almond tarte tatinToday 2:23am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- 36 vegan dinners for the familyYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingYesterday 1:00pm
- Thermomix Swedish meatballs with gravy and horseradish mashYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy snacks to get you through the dayYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- Beer-battered fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- 23 fish cakes recipes for easy dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- 17 sensational seafood stews and casserolesYesterday 1:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Summer puddingYesterday 1:00pm