Blackberry and apple pie
- 1.4 kilogram golden delicious apples
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoon water
- 300 gram blackberries
- 2 cup (300g) plain flour
- 2/3 cup (110g) icing sugar mixture
- 185 gram butter, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon iced water, approximately
- milk for glazing
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
Blackberry and apple pie
- 1Peel, core and slice apples thinly. Place in a large pan with the sugar and cook over a low heat, covered, for 5 minutes or until apples are just tender. Add the combined cornflour and water, then the frozen blackberries. Stir gently over low heat until mixture thickens. (Be careful not to overcook; blackberries should remain whole.) Transfer the filling to a large bowl and leave to cool.
- 2Process the flour, icing sugar and butter until crumbly. Add the egg yolks and iced water; process until ingredients just come together. Knead gently on a floured surface until smooth. Roll two-thirds of the dough between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a 23cm pie plate. Lift pastry into pie plate and gently smooth over base and side to avoid any air pockets. Trim edge, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Spoon filling into pastry case. Roll out remaining pastry until large enough to cover pie; place over filling. Press edges together, trim with a knife; decorate edge. Brush pastry with a little milk and sprinkle over demerara sugar. Make three cuts in the top of pastry to allow steam to escape. Place pie on an oven tray and bake on the lowest shelf for 40 minutes or until well browned. (Cover the edges of the pastry with foil after 20 minutes to prevent over-browning.) Stand for 10 minutes before serving with custard or ice-cream, if desired.
Suitable to freeze. Filling suitable to microwave. This recipe is best made on the day of serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cheese and silverbeet borekYesterday 2:00pm
- 42 perfect puddingsYesterday 2:00pm
- 39 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- 35 very vegetarian pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 44 perfect pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 41 creative ideas with cabbageJun 28, 2022
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesJun 28, 2022
- Chicken and fennel tray bakeJun 28, 2022
- Soft polentaJun 28, 2022
- Shaved cabbage with pecorino balsamicJun 28, 2022
- Princess-themed birthday cakesJun 28, 2022
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022