Rich and chocolatey this is unlike your classic trifle. Layers of boozy cherries, chocolate custard, mascarpone cream and cherry jelly make this one decadent dessert for a dinner party.
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 cup 300ml cream
- 125 gram dark eating chocolate, chopped finely
Black forest trifle
- 2 x 425g cans seeded black cherries in syrup
- 1/3 cup (80ml) cherry brandy
- 350 gram bought frozen chocolate cake
- 250 gram mascarpone cheese
- 300 millilitre cream
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar
- 2 teaspoon gelatine
- 2 tablespoon water
Black forest trifle
- 1To make chocolate custard, blend sugar and cornflour in medium saucepan; gradually whisk in milk and cream. Stir over medium heat until custard boils and thickens. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate until smooth.
- 2Drain cherries; reserve syrup (you need 1¼ cups). Combine brandy and drained cherries in small bowl.
- 3Discard icing from cake if necessary; chop cake into 2cm pieces.
- 4Divide cake into eight 1½-cup (375ml) serving glasses. Spoon cherry mixture over cake; top with warm chocolate custard; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 5To make mascarpone cream, beat mascarpone, cream and icing sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spread mascarpone cream over custard; refrigerate 15 minutes.
- 6Sprinkle gelatine over the water in small heatproof jug; stand jug in small saucepan of simmering water. Stir until gelatine dissolves; cool 5 minutes. Stir gelatine into reserved cherry syrup. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Top trifles with cherry jelly; refrigerate 3 hours or until jelly sets. Top with extra fresh cherries, if you like.
Trifles can be made a day ahead; keep refrigerated overnight.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Passionfruit curd teacakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Kimchi and cheese toastiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooked pork in ginger beerYesterday 2:00pm
- Pearl couscous ‘kedgeree’Yesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker bolognese sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Mixed bean, spinach and paneer rogan joshYesterday 2:00pm
- Rigatoni with zucchini and chilliYesterday 2:00pm
- Vanilla sliceJun 17, 2021
- ShortbreadJun 17, 2021
- Baked custardJun 17, 2021
- Beef massamanJun 17, 2021
- Coconut pumpkin soup made in your slow cookerJun 17, 2021
- Steak and spuds with salsa verdeJun 17, 2021
- Rainbow bibimbap bowlsJun 16, 2021
- 22 easy dinner recipesJun 16, 2021