Black forest mud cake
- 200 gram dark chocolate
- 250 gram butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 3/4 cup (165g) light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup (250ml) hot water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup (35g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) buttermilk
- 2/3 cup (160ml) thickened cream, whipped
- 415 gram can black pitted cherries, drained
- maraschino cherries, extra
- 250 gram dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup (160ml) pouring cream
- 1 tablespoon cherry brandy
- 100 gram dark chocolate
Black forest mud cake
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Lightly grease deep 22cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Break chocolate into medium saucepan, add butter, sugars, water and coffee. Stir over low heat for about 2-3 minutes, or until smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl; cool 10 minutes.
- 3Whisk flours, cocoa, eggs and buttermilk into chocolate mixture.
- 4Pour mixture into pan. Bake for about 1 hour 20 minutes. Stand cake in pan 20 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, to make chocolate ganache: Break chocolate into small saucepan; add cream and brandy. Stir over low heat for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth. Stand until thickened and spreadable.
- 6Meanwhile, to make chocolate curls: Have chocolate at room temperature. Scrape the blade of a large sharp knife, or cheese slicer, over the flat side of a chocolate bar. Or, use a vegetable peeler to make smaller curls.
- 7Split cake in half; sandwich with half the ganache. Top with whipped cream and cherries. Spread cake top with remaining ganache; top with chocolate curls and maraschino cherries.
Cake will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, or in the refrigerator for 1 week, or in the freezer (without ganache) for 2 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Nectarine and almond tarte tatinToday 2:23am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Slow-cooker mushroom risottoYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- 17 sensational seafood stews and casserolesYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy snacks to get you through the dayYesterday 1:00pm
- Beer-battered fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- 23 fish cakes recipes for easy dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- 36 vegan dinners for the familyYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingYesterday 1:00pm
- Baked caramel cheesecakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 1:00pm