Black forest cake
- 250 gram butter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) hot water
- 200 gram dark eating chocolate, chopped
- 2 cup (440g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 600 millilitre thickened cream
- 1/4 cup (60ml) kirsch
- 2 425g cans cherries, drained, halved
Black forest cake
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Grease deep 22cm-round cake pan, line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat, stir in combined coffee and the water, then chocolate and sugar; stir over low heat, without boiling, until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl, cool to warm.
- 3Beat mixture on low speed with electric mixer; beat in sifted dry ingredients, in three batches. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then extract. Pour into pan.
- 4Bake about 1 3/4 hours (105 minutes). Stand 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.
- 5Beat cream until firm peaks form.
- 6Trim top of cake to make it flat. Split cake into three even layers. Place one layer on serving plate, brush with a third of the kirsch, top with a third of the cream and half the cherries. Repeat layering once more, then top with final layer of cake.
- 7Brush top of cake with remaining kirsch; spread with remaining cream. Decorate with grated chocolate and fresh cherries, if desired.
If you like, decorate the cake with mini chocolate curls. To do this, pull a vegetable peeler down the side of a bar of dark chocolate. Black forest cake will keep for up to 3 days if stored, covered, in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020