- 2 1/4 cup (360g) icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- black food colouring
- 125 gram butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 2/3 cup (250g) plain flour
- rainbow choc chips
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease and line two oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Beat butter, extract, sugar and egg in small bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Stir in the sifted flour, in two hatches. Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth.
- 3Roll the dough between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick; refrigerate for about 10 minutes or until firm.
- 4Using an 11cm bat cutter, cut out shapes from dough. Place bats on trays, Bake for 15 minutes; cool on trays.
- 5To make glace icing, sift the icing sugar into a small heatproof bowl; stir in the water and colouring. Stir over a small saucepan of simmering water until icing is pourable.
- 6Place bats on a wire rack, in a single layer; pour Glace Icing evenly over bats. Position choc chips on each bat for eyes. Stand until set. If icing becomes too thick to pour, reheat over simmering water, or stir in a tiny amount of extra water.
Un-iced biscuits suitable to freeze. Glace icing suitable to microwave. You can freeze un-iced biscuits between layers of freezer wrap for up to three months. Biscuits can be completed a day ahead; store, in a singe layer, in airtight containers.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salted honeycombMay 24, 2019
- Chorizo and tomato omelette with chilli beansMay 23, 2019
- Croque monsieurMay 22, 2019
- Osso buco with gremolataMay 22, 2019
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019