- 400 grams frozen blackberries
- ⅓ cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 250 grams fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- ½ teaspoon mixed juice
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons demerara sugar
- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose_ flour
- ¼ cup (35g) cornflour
- ¼ cup (30g) custard powder
- 2 tablespoons icing (confectioners') sugar
- 125 grams cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon iced water, approximately
- 1Make custard pastry.
- 2Meanwhile, combine 1 cup of the blackberries and sugar in medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Blend cornflour with the water in small jug; pour into berry mixture, stirring over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Cool. Stir in remaining blackberries, blueberries, rind and spice.
- 3Roll two-thirds of the pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line 24cm round loose-based flan tin. Ease pastry into tin; trim edge. Reserve and refrigerate excess pastry. Refrigerate pastry case 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 5Spoon filling into pastry case. Brush pastry edge with egg white. Roll reserved pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to cover pie. Cut into 10 x 1.5cm strips. Place strips over pie, weaving in and out to make lattice pattern. Trim edges, pressing to seal; sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- 6Bake pie about 50 minutes or until browned. Stand 10 minutes before serving.
- 7Process flours, custard powder, icing sugar and butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk and enough of the water until ingredients just come together. Knead pastry on floured surface until smooth. Wrap pastry in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021