- 6 medium fresh beetroots (beets) (1kg), trimmed
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 4 large green-skinned apples (800g), peeled, cored, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium red onion (170g), chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 centimetre (¾-inch) piece fresh ginger (10g), grated
- 1 cup (220g) white (granulated) sugar
- 2 cup (500ml) white vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 1Boil, steam or microwave beetroot until tender; drain. When cool enough to handle, peel beetroot. Finely chop half the beetroot; blend or process remaining beetroot until smooth.
- 2Tie spices in muslin. Combine puréed beetroot and muslin bag with apple, onion, garlic, ginger, sugar, vinegar, juice and salt in large saucepan; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil.
- 3Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Add chopped beetroot; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until chutney is thick. Discard muslin bag.
- 4Spoon hot chutney into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
- 5Store chutney in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate after opening.
Wear disposable gloves when peeling beetroot as it will stain your hands.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 12 lovely lentil recipesToday 12:40am
- Grilled haloumi, white nectarine & kohlrabi saladYesterday 2:04am
- Tamarind beef stir fry with kohlrabi saladJun 17, 2019
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipJun 17, 2019
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerJun 17, 2019
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019