- 2 x300gram packets firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- ⅓ cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ⅔ cup (100g) plain (all-purpose) spelt flour
- ¼ cup (35g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- ¼ cup (40g) instant polenta (cornmeal)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1½ cups (375ml) vegan beer (see tips)
- 1 kg orange sweet potatoes, cut into thin wedges (see tips)
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- rice bran oil, extra, for shallow-frying
- ⅔ cup (100g) cornflour (cornstarch), extra
- 1 medium lemon (140g), cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon mild paprika
- large pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- large pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1Drain tofu; pat dry. Cut each block of tofu lengthways into four thick slices. Combine rind, juice, garlic and pepper in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add tofu; turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate for 3 hours, turning occasionally.
- 2Meanwhile, combine flours, polenta, baking powder, salt, garlic and onion powders in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in beer until the consistency of pancake batter. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3In the last hour of refrigeration time, preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 4Place sweet potato on tray, drizzle with oil and season. Toss to coat. Roast for 45 minutes or until tender.
- 5Make spice mix.
- 6Heat the extra oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Dust tofu in extra cornflour; shake away excess. Dip tofu in batter; drain away excess. Shallow-fry tofu, in batches, for 1 minute each side or until golden on both sides and heated through. Drain on paper towel.
- 7Sprinkle tofu and sweet potato wedges with spice mix; serve with lemon wedges. Season to taste.
- 8Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
You can use soda water instead of beer, if you like. Leave the skin on the sweet potatoes for extra flavour and nutrients; wash and dry them first before cutting into wedges.Serve with a vegan tartare sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- RatatouilleToday 6:11am
- Easter lunch recipesToday 12:43am
- Vegetarian eggplant recipesToday 12:20am
- Scone recipesYesterday 11:38pm
- PikeletsYesterday 6:00pm
- Gluten-free sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Irish soda bread rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious cornflake cookies and slicesYesterday 2:00pm
- Easter baking ideasYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage casseroleYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef bourguignon and potato pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Easter carrot cake with spiced buttercream & caramel sauceYesterday 2:30am
- Melting momentsApr 06, 2020
- Easter bunny cakeApr 06, 2020
- Our best Easter recipesApr 06, 2020