- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 800 gram beef blade steak, chopped coarsely
- 2 brown onions (300g), chopped finely
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate
- 1 cup (75g) shredded coconut
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 4 dried long red chillies
- 3 star anise
- 2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon each ground turmeric, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, fennel seeds
- 6 clove garlic, quartered
- 3/4 cup (180ml) water
- 1Make spice paste. Dry-fry coconut in large frying pan until browned lightly; remove from pan. Add spices to pan; dry-fry until fragrant. Blend or process all ingredients until smooth.
- 2Heat half the ghee in 6-litre (24-cup) pressure cooker; cook beef, in batches, until browned. Remove from cooker.
- 3Heat remaining ghee in cooker; cook onion, stirring, until soft. Return beef to cooker with spice paste; stir to coat beef in spice paste. Add the water; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 30 minutes.
- 4Release pressure using the quick release method; remove lid. Stir in tamarind; season to taste.
If you have an electric pressure cooker you won't need to reduce the heat to stabilise pressure, your cooker will automatically stabilise itself. Always check with the manufacturer's instructions before using. This is an Indian curry from the region of Goa. It's often made with chicken but as Goa used to be a Portuguese colony, they also eat beef and pork. The poppy seeds give it its signature colour and texture. Recipe suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- TiramisuYesterday 10:00pm
- Aromatic Vietnamese beef curryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chicken parmigianaYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef stroganoffYesterday 1:00pm
- 20 tantalising tiramisu recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious chicken drumstick recipe ideasYesterday 1:00pm
- Nutella TiramisuYesterday 1:00pm
- Pad ThaiYesterday 1:00pm
- Boston baked beansYesterday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesYesterday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesYesterday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceYesterday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesJan 26, 2021