- 750 gram beef chuck steak, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium (120g) carrot, finely chopped
- 2 stalks (300g) celery, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) shiraz
- 1/2 cup (125ml) beef stock
- 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
Sour cream pastry
- 2 1/4 cup (335g) plain flour
- 125 gram cold butter, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced. Grease a six-hole 180ml (3/4 cup) Texas muffin pan with oil.
- 2Toss beef in flour and shake away excess. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and cook beef, in batches, until browned. Transfer beef to 3 litre (12 cup) ovenproof dish.
- 3Heat remaining oil in the same frying pan. Cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic, stirring, until softened. Add wine and bring to the boil. Stir in stock, undrained tomatoes and thyme and bring to the boil. Pour mixture over beef. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Season. Set aside to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, for the sour cream pastry, process flour, butter and salt, to taste, in a food processor until crumbly. Add sour cream and process until ingredients barely cling together. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Enclose in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 5Roll two-thirds of the pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to cut six 13cm rounds. Press pastry into pan holes and brush edges with egg. Divide beef mixture among pastry cases.
- 6Cut six 9cm rounds from remaining pastry and place over filling. Press edges firmly to seal and brush tops with egg. Cut a small slit in top of each pie.
- 7Bake pies for 30 minutes or until browned. Stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Any dry red wine can be used in this recipe, if preferred. This recipe is suitable to freeze but not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020