- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2.5 kilogram racks beef short ribs
- 2 brown onions (400g), sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 3 carrots (360g), sliced thickly
- 400 gram canned diced tomatoes
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1 cup (250ml) stout
- 1Heat half the oil in large frying pan; cook ribs, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
- 2Heat remaining oil in large frying pan; cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add sugar, vinegar and the water; cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until onion caramelises.
- 3Transfer onion mixture to 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker; stir in carrot, undrained tomatoes, thyme, mustard, stock and stout. Add ribs, turn to coat in sauce mixture. Cook, covered, on low, 8 hours. Season to taste.
- 4Cut ribs into serving-sized pieces; serve with the sauce.
For best results, get the butcher to cut the ribs into individual pieces. They become more tender and fit more easily into the slow cooker. Stout is a strong-flavoured, dark-coloured type of beer originally from Britain. It is made with roasted barley, giving it its characteristic dark colour and bitter-sweet, almost coffee-like, flavour. serving suggestion Serve ribs with steamed rice and a green leafy salad.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apple and cinnamon crunch cake with cinnamon anglaiseYesterday 2:00pm
- Carrot falafelYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish delightYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced tofu bao with pineapple cucumber saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Zucchini koftas with harissa yoghurtYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 easy apple crumble recipes for dessertYesterday 2:00pm
- Crispy middle-eastern seed and spice potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork sausage and asparagus frittataYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille stewMay 14, 2021
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021