- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2.5 kilogram racks beef short ribs
- 2 brown onions (400g), sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 3 carrots (360g), sliced thickly
- 400 gram canned diced tomatoes
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1 cup (250ml) stout
- 1Heat half the oil in large frying pan; cook ribs, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
- 2Heat remaining oil in large frying pan; cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add sugar, vinegar and the water; cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until onion caramelises.
- 3Transfer onion mixture to 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker; stir in carrot, undrained tomatoes, thyme, mustard, stock and stout. Add ribs, turn to coat in sauce mixture. Cook, covered, on low, 8 hours. Season to taste.
- 4Cut ribs into serving-sized pieces; serve with the sauce.
For best results, get the butcher to cut the ribs into individual pieces. They become more tender and fit more easily into the slow cooker. Stout is a strong-flavoured, dark-coloured type of beer originally from Britain. It is made with roasted barley, giving it its characteristic dark colour and bitter-sweet, almost coffee-like, flavour. serving suggestion Serve ribs with steamed rice and a green leafy salad.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Garlic breadToday 1:00am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaYesterday 11:55pm
- Garlic beef stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy recipes with leeksYesterday 1:00pm
- Show-stopping Christmas recipes you'll be famous forYesterday 1:00pm
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 5:37am
- White ChristmasNov 22, 2020
- Perfect roast potatoesNov 22, 2020
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeNov 22, 2020
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsNov 22, 2020
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 22, 2020
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsNov 22, 2020
- Best edible Christmas giftsNov 22, 2020
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020