- 3 cup (450g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coarse cooking salt
- 3 teaspoon (10g) dried yeast
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) warm water
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small brown onion (80g)
- 1 small carrot (70g)
- 2 clove garlic
- 250 gram (8 ounces) minced (ground) beef
- 1/4 cup (75g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 1Sift flour and salt into large bowl; stir in yeast. Add the water and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil; stir until mixture becomes a sticky dough. Turn dough onto floured surface; knead until smooth and dough loses its stickiness. Place dough in oiled large bowl, cover; stand in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 2Meanwhile, peel and finely chop onion; peel and coarsely grate carrot. Peel and crush garlic.
- 3Heat remaining oil in large frying pan; cook onion and carrot, stirring, until softened. Add beef; cook, stirring, until browned. Stir in garlic, season to taste; cool. Stir in mayonnaise and dill.
- 4To make piroshki: line tray with baking paper. Punch down dough. With oiled hands, pinch off about 60g (2 ounces) of dough (about the size of a lime); flatten in palm of hand into a 10cm (4-inch) round. Place a heaped tablespoon of beef mixture in the centre of the dough; fold edges over to enclose filling, press to seal. Place, seam-side down, on tray. Repeat with remaining dough and filling to make 12 piroshki.
- 5Heat vegetable oil in large frying pan; shallow-fry piroshky, in batches, about 2 minutes each side or until browned lightly and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve immediately.
You can prepare the piroshki up to step 4 in advance, then refrigerate them uncooked, covered with plastic wrap, for up to 18 hours, or freeze them for 3 months. Thaw them in the fridge overnight before frying.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022