This classic Belgian beef stew is known for tender beef cooked in a rich beer-based sauce. We've used Guiness for a hearty stout flavour.
Looking for more beef stews and casseroles?
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 kg gravy beef, excess fat trimmed, cut into 3cm (1¼in) pieces
- 50 grams butter
- 12 shallots, sliced
- 4 carrots (240g), chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup (50g) plain flour
- 440 ml can Guinness beer
- 3 cups (750ml) beef stock
- 1½ tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1Heat half the oil in a large 7 litre (28 cup) cast iron or other flameproof casserole dish. Cook beef, in batches, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden; transfer each batch to a large heatproof bowl.
- 2Heat butter in same dish over medium heat; cook shallots and carrot, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden. Add garlic and flour; cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Gradually stir in beer until a smooth paste forms. Stir in stock, mustard, sugar, bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Return beef and any juices to dish; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1½ hours or until beef is tender.
- 3Remove lid, increase heat to medium; simmer, uncovered, for a further 30 minutes or until sauce is reduced and thickened. Remove from heat; discard bay leaves and thyme.
- 4Serve half the beef carbonnade; season. Transfer remaining beef carbonnade to an airtight container; cool, then store.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Passionfruit curd teacakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Kimchi and cheese toastiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooked pork in ginger beerYesterday 2:00pm
- Pearl couscous ‘kedgeree’Yesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker bolognese sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Mixed bean, spinach and paneer rogan joshYesterday 2:00pm
- Rigatoni with zucchini and chilliYesterday 2:00pm
- Vanilla sliceJun 17, 2021
- ShortbreadJun 17, 2021
- Baked custardJun 17, 2021
- Beef massamanJun 17, 2021
- Coconut pumpkin soup made in your slow cookerJun 17, 2021
- Steak and spuds with salsa verdeJun 17, 2021
- Rainbow bibimbap bowlsJun 16, 2021
- 22 easy dinner recipesJun 16, 2021