- 2 carrots (240g)
- 6 asparagus spears, halved lengthways
- 3 green onions
- 12 thin slices beef eye fillet (300g)
- 2 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) mirin
- 2 tablespoon sake
- 1/4 cup (60ml) japanese soy sauce
- 1Using a vegetable peeler, slice carrot lengthways into thin strips. Cut carrot strips to width of beef.
- 2Boil, steam or microwave asparagus until just tender; drain. Rinse under cold water, drain. Cut asparagus and onions to width of beef.
- 3Place beef slices flat on work surface; sift half the cornflour over top of beef. Place two pieces of carrot and onion, and one piece of asparagus across dusted side of each slice of beef; roll up. Tie rolls with kitchen string or secure ends with toothpicks. Dust with remaining cornflour.
- 4Heat oil in medium frying pan; cook rolls, in batches, until browned all over. Remove from pan.
- 5Return rolls to same cleaned pan, add combined sugar, mirin, sake and sauce; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, turning occasionally, until rolls are cooked through. (If you prefer a thicker sauce, remove rolls; boil sauce until reduced. Return rolls to pan; turn to coat in sauce.)
- 6Remove rolls from pan; cool 2 minutes. Discard string or toothpicks; cut rolls in half. Serve with sauce.
Very thinly sliced beef, sold as yakiniku or sukiyaki beef, is available from Asian grocery stores. You could use rib eye steak (scotch fillet) instead of the beef eye fillet. Pork fillet can be used instead of beef eye fillet, if you like. To make larger rolls, use two or three slices of meat, slightly overlapping.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021