Beef and stilton pies
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 500 gram stewing beef, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) dry red wine
- 2 cup (500ml) beef stock
- 5 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 100 gram stilton cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
Beef and stilton pies
- 1Heat half the oil in medium saucepan; cook beef in batches until browned. Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook onion and garlic until soft.
- 2Return beef to pan with paste, stir over heat until combined. Add flour; cook, stirring until mixture bubbles. Stir in wine, then gradually stir in stock; continue stirring until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 45 minutes or until beef is tender. Cool.
- 3Meanwhile, cut 48 x 6.5cm rounds as close together as possible from all the pastry sheets; line two 24-hole mini (1 tablespoon) muffin pans. Prick the base of each pastry case with a fork.
- 4Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced).
- 5Fill each case with rounded teaspoons of beef mixture; top with a small piece of cheese.
- 6Cut out 48 x 4.5cm rounds from remaining pastry scraps. Combine egg and milk in a small bowl; brush around inside top edge of each pastry case with egg mixture, cover with pastry rounds, press edges together. Brush pies with more egg mixture; cut a hole in each pie to allow steam to escape.
- 7Bake pies about 20 minutes or until golden. Stand pies in pan 5 minutes before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate slab cakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken & watercress pasta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy vanilla cupcakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Almond friandsYesterday 1:00pm
- Sensational spring dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- Blueberry muffinsYesterday 1:00pm
- Women's Weekly Vintage Edition: Gingerbread peopleYesterday 1:00pm
- Oven temperature conversionsYesterday 4:43am
- Char kway teowOct 27, 2020
- Mango recipes for dessertOct 27, 2020
- Sweet curried sausagesOct 27, 2020
- Chicken schnitzelOct 27, 2020
- Roast pumpkin, feta and chickpea saladOct 27, 2020
- Allergy-friendly fruit mince tartsOct 27, 2020
- Fruit mince pies and treats for ChristmasOct 27, 2020
- EggnogOct 27, 2020