- 1 medium red onion (170g), chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper) (200g), chopped finely
- 300 gram (9½ ounces) lean minced (ground) beef
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 800 gram (1½ ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 4 fresh lasagne sheets, cut crossways into thirds
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 1/3 cup (330ml) skim milk
- 1Heat a medium non-stick saucepan over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring, about 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add capsicum and beef; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until beef is browned. Add lentils, oregano, water and tomatoes; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Season to taste.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly oil four shallow 2-cup (500ml) ovenproof dishes.
- 3Blend cornflour with ½ cup of the milk in a small jug. Bring remaining milk to the boil in a small saucepan; stir in cornflour mixture. Cook, stirring, until white sauce boils and thickens.
- 4Spoon ⅓ cup of meat sauce between dishes; top each with a pasta sheet, trimming to fit. Divide one-quarter of the remaining meat sauce between dishes; top each with a pasta sheet. Repeat layering with remaining meat sauce; top with remaining pasta sheet. Spread white sauce evenly over each dish; sprinkle each with cheese.
- 5Bake lasagne about 50 minutes or until pasta is tender and cheese is browned lightly. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Lasagne can be cooked ahead of time; store, covered, in the fridge. Reheat in a 180°C (160°C fan-forced) oven, covered with foil, for 40 minutes or until heated through. Freeze lasagne, covered, for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat as previously directed. Lasagne can be made ahead to the end of step 4; store, covered in the fridge. Cook as directed in step 5.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Japanese chicken schnitzel toastiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Mulled wine pork with red cabbageYesterday 2:00pm
- Enchilada bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- 24 sour cream cakesYesterday 2:00pm
- Reuben jaffleYesterday 2:00pm
- Our 20 best tea cakes for your favourite cuppaYesterday 2:00pm
- 10 easy toastie recipes the whole family will enjoyYesterday 3:00am
- Easy combination fried riceJun 21, 2021
- Chocolate chip cookiesJun 21, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021