- 1 medium red onion (170g), chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper) (200g), chopped finely
- 300 gram (9½ ounces) lean minced (ground) beef
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 800 gram (1½ ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 4 fresh lasagne sheets, cut crossways into thirds
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 1/3 cup (330ml) skim milk
- 1Heat a medium non-stick saucepan over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring, about 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add capsicum and beef; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until beef is browned. Add lentils, oregano, water and tomatoes; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Season to taste.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly oil four shallow 2-cup (500ml) ovenproof dishes.
- 3Blend cornflour with ½ cup of the milk in a small jug. Bring remaining milk to the boil in a small saucepan; stir in cornflour mixture. Cook, stirring, until white sauce boils and thickens.
- 4Spoon ⅓ cup of meat sauce between dishes; top each with a pasta sheet, trimming to fit. Divide one-quarter of the remaining meat sauce between dishes; top each with a pasta sheet. Repeat layering with remaining meat sauce; top with remaining pasta sheet. Spread white sauce evenly over each dish; sprinkle each with cheese.
- 5Bake lasagne about 50 minutes or until pasta is tender and cheese is browned lightly. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Lasagne can be cooked ahead of time; store, covered, in the fridge. Reheat in a 180°C (160°C fan-forced) oven, covered with foil, for 40 minutes or until heated through. Freeze lasagne, covered, for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat as previously directed. Lasagne can be made ahead to the end of step 4; store, covered in the fridge. Cook as directed in step 5.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021