- 30 gram butter
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 1/4 cup (310ml) hot milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1Melt butter in medium saucepan, add flour; cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles and thickens.
- 2Gradually add milk, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in nutmeg.
Béchamel is one of the "mother" or base sauces of classic French cooking and probably the one sauce that most people learn to cook before leaving home, often with the addition of cheese.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateYesterday 1:00pm
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoYesterday 1:00pm
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020
- Three-ingredient plum tartJan 15, 2020
- Linguine with garlic prawnsJan 15, 2020
- Lamb kofta with yoghurtJan 15, 2020
- Scone recipesJan 15, 2020